Monday, August 11, 2014

Solomon's Epiphany

After near 3 months of work in Elsevier as a credit controller, I have finally got my confirmation letter. A confirmation that my boss is real satisfied with my performance and wants me to work for the organization.

Other than this being my first real corporate job, not that I haven't been to MNC before but this one actually entitles me to the full permanent staff benefits, it is also the highest paying job I ever had. In fact, so blessed that none of my previous jobs come close.

Thinking back and after drawing such high paycheck for the past 2 month, splurging was only normal. However, there is one thing I realize after splurging so much. The only joy that ever lasted was when I splurge on someone else, not myself. There are so many things that I want, yet nothing really makes me more happy than to buy someone a coffee, a meal, or just a simple monetary gift.

I guess when Solomon acquired all the wealth he could ever contained or wish for, perhaps he had realized that everything is meaningless and nothing matters more than things of the eternal, the blessing and adding upon of another fellow's soul.

Asking a friend out is not that hard, but to have a full-blown heart talk is rare. No one is ever present even if they are just sitting opposite you nowadays. It's always a good practice to silent your phone and turn it facing downwards, that way, when you are fully present, you are blessing someone else with your presence and time. Unfortunately, that is not something people around me practices. Perhaps I just do not have the good fortune.

So I had my mid-year review today and my boss said she is really satisfied with my performance and no complaint, even though I had a few hiccups for the past weeks. I'll take that as a compliment. One thing that I try to cling onto when I entered Elsevier was that, I must never be contend with my position, not because I want a promotion or pay raise but because it honors God.

I would say at this point, with confidence, I am not worried about not having a degree or whether if I would get the next promotion or how much is my 2015 pay raise. My only security lies in whether if I have honored God everyday and that's all I need to accomplish. Though I have to say it is not easy to always keep that in mind.

With the above goal, I really think that this is the correct mindset and paradigm to hold, no matter what job and career you are in, you will succeed. And one last thing, you are secured, never worrying about not having enough. 

- Ben


No comments: