Monday, August 18, 2014

A blank point of view

At some point, it probably occurs to everyone out there, perhaps as an epiphany or just a moment of thought, that everyone around you has their own background, a sob story to tell and pains to face. Personally I do not believe that even the richest person has no pains. Perhaps the pains he/she has to go through to achieve great wealth is just one of it.

The above thoughts, not many people could hold in their heart as a world view to approach people. I don't think I approach people with "this person probably has his own sob story". But meeting Enting last night has made me reviewed my paradigm of seeing people. Maybe people acts in a certain way is determined by their own pains and personal story. More specifically, the story with big incidents that changed their growing up years.

I'm probably not gonna get a degree in psychology but seeing as how the above idea is and after ruminating on it, I guess it is not such a surprise that people put on mask(s) to protect themselves. Masks to hide their vulnerable side and insecurities. I think its true that is not such a surprise, since as primates we take cover to hide from danger, we do the same mentally.

It makes sense. Sometimes people just want to understand our weak point to gain the upper hand. Very rare would people take time to listen a fellow out and help them. I mean, who the hell has time in Singapore to help a fellow brother out right? It's all about degree, career and settling down.

But I guess the more masks a person put on, it just means the more scars and pain a person has to deal with. Or let me reiterate, the equation above applies to majority of the people around us.

And so I asked, what's the downside to masks? It simply disallowed people who are willing to invest and help you out because they could not understand you on a personal and intimate level. But again, I guess that also serve to filter out those who are genuinely interested in us, yes?

- Ben

No comments: