Tuesday, July 08, 2014

If I Don't Stay

Ran my flu away, almost literally. The ironic thing is, I didn't always like running. In fact, I don't even consider myself an avid runner. How 2 years actually changes a person huh.

On a deep reflection, in fact every single time I go for a run, I'll always auto reflect and discover a mini epiphany at the end of it. Its almost like that's how God want's to speak to me.

Running is not something that I enjoy or I just want to do it. At least not before army. The only time I had to run was because I am rushing or I need to take my NAPFA. However surprisingly, I never once had a problem with NAPFA in Secondary School. Perhaps because my sport was BMX and since that's an extreme sport, I wasn't exactly out of shape.

Recalling Amoy Quee is a funny incident. I was walking one day from YCK to AMK with Jacob Chang, a long-time church friend of mine. Out of the blue, he mentioned that there is a very old camp, in the middle between the former 2 train station and it is a very tough unit. Right, I could tell it was tough from the name of the camp. The skeptics inside me took the better and thought that I will not be that unlucky to enlist there.

I mean, predictably, I don't even know Mono Enlistment existed back then. True enough, MINDEF just had to send me a letter, right on my 18th, telling me to report to Amoy Quee in 1.5 month time. Ever since that fateful day of 8th December 2011, my life was never the same. Enlisting with my 2.4km timing at 15 min, leaving it at 10 min flat.

It was only during PTP that I discovered the joy of running. Not just because it slims me down, though I did needed the slimming but the epiphany and revelation I always get at the end of it. Even after 2 years have passed, it still does. On a side note, if I may just add, Infantry does sucks. I still maintain it is just Guards without pride. Though I have to agree that every battle and war is won with the Infantry.

Can't help looking forward to the weekend because I get to meet him. However it seems that thinking from another perspective of gaining a new level of independence by trying to break free from this emotional struggle seems promising.

- Ben

No comments: